Let's Shrink!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

this is what happened... all the dramatic details and pics! :) :)

What happened: So I was getting ready to go to my older daughter's soccer playoff game last Friday when I started to get a bad pain in my right side. I already had my gallbladder out so I knew that wasn't it. Something told me not to wait to see if it gets better, just go to the hospital. I listened and went right away. Sooo thankful that my friend came over to be with the kids so I could go. My husband was already at the game with my oldest so I had to drive myself. When I got to the ER they quickly discovered the agitated appendix with a CT scan and told me that because I was still on my blood thinner, surgery could be risky (normally, if you are on a blood thinner they ask you to stop taking it about 10 days before surgery so you won’t bleed out) but HAD to be done right away. So, they put two iv's in just in case I needed extra blood during surgery and used a bunch of things during surgery to help stop the bleeding. Sooo glad I went to the best hospital. Since they did my other surgeries, they knew my situation and were able to take the right precautions. So... 4 days later I came home. They said my blood levels are now stable showing no active bleeding and I just need to watch out for the warning signs of internal bleeding and take it easy for two weeks or so until my follow up visit. I won't be able to sit at the computer much. Since this is my third abdominal surgery in a year, I can't get my sleeve fixed for at least 6 months to a year, but so grateful I listened to that small voice that told me to go to the hospital right away! :) I have such a wonderful husband who takes such good care of me and the kids and a wonderful church family who steps in to help, wonderful friends/family who have called or posted here.... Thanks so much everyone!!! Now I focus on not bleeding and getting better. :) To be really honest, I feel a sense of relief that the surgery is no longer an option for me. It has been my crutch, my excuse to "wait" on everything. Almost a burden. Now, I have no choice but to dig deep and do this on my own or stay this weight for yet another year. I guess the choice is mine.

Below: The view from my bed - yep, I got to overlook the ROOF of the other building. :)
 Below: each time they needed blood they had to do a fresh prick because they needed to see how it was clotting.  I was a human pin cushion for 4 days. :)
 Below: My first meal
 Me with my IV pole in the bathroom trying to take a pick of my digs for the week.  They really do have nice rooms.  It helps the stay to be as pleasant as possible.  Sorry, no make-up in this pic. 
I should have warned you.  lol

12 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Wow! I was gone all week so didn't even find out about this until this morning. I'm glad you're doing better, healing well and feeling good. And I love your attitude.

Sometimes, we have to take a step back by choice or by necessity. In the end, it will all work out for you. I have a strong feeling you'll do this and not need another surgery. :)

Amanda said...

I'm glad you're doing better -- wow, talk about updates!

Karla said...

girl you scared us!!!

(((((hugs)))))

Lori said...

I'm so sorry you went through that. I'm glad you're better and I hope it only gets better for you from now on.
Lori

Sheila said...

Oh my goodness Lisa!! You poor thing! I'm so sorry, but like you said what a blessing that you KNEW something was up and didn't wait. ((SHUDDER)) Even though my sleeve is normal-functioning, I feel like the last -20lbs will take me some willpower of steel and sheer human determination to get it off. I'm not sure I'm up for it. ;-) So still trying to make peace with where I am now so I can just do maintenance. And I don't think we are alone either!

The Sassy Orange said...

Yay, been waiting to hear how you were! So glad you're on the mend!

Angela/Pretty in Orange

Susan said...

You totally got this. ... with no more surgeries. I see how having the option completely taken away makes it easier. Glad youre better!!!!

Taryl said...

Wow, you do look like a human pincushion, there. Poor thing. I'm SO glad you didn't wit and everything went well with the recovery thus far. And now you have a clear path forward, too, with the looming option out off,p.

Maybe it isn't the way you planned it, but everything works out in the end, right?

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

What a blessing to have such a competent medical team on top of it and such a pleasant room.

I had my appendix out (and I did wait 36 hours in excruciating pain cause it was 4th of July and an ER in Miami on that day is...BAD...so I waited til July 5th. hah. I nearly exploded.)

Glad you're on the mend. And you're right: Find the way to do it without depending on surgical crutches. They can always fail. find YOUR inner strength.

God bless..

Amanda said...

wow Lisa....I am so glad you went in right away and that everything went as well as possible.

Tammy said...

I'm soooo glad that you're OK!! It's always better to be safe than sorry. Take care of yourself and get better soon.:)

Lyn said...

I am really glad you're back and okay! Was praying for you. Get all better soon!